But, if you're interested in making your own, here's how I did it. First, I went to my local Goodwill and bought 6 old records for .99 each. In case you're curious, I used 2 Romeo and Juliet scores and 1 Boston Pops hits - the others were for back-up and they were all from the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Then, I went to Michael's and bought some Martha Stewart acrylic paint and fine tip white paint pens. I also stopped at my local home improvement store and purchased a new paint roller to use. Then, after setting up my work station - old cardboard on top of our dining room table - I set to work painting.
I have to admit - I did not sand the vinyls, but I did apply primer to make sure my acrylic paint had a better chance of sticking and lasting.
Then, I applied my color - green, blue and purple - to the vinyls, putting on 2 coats to make it look best.
Once the paint was completely dry, I took my chosen song lyrics - 3 songs that mean something to Josh and I ("Your Love is My Drug" by Ke$ha, "Forever" by Chris Brown and "When You Say Nothing At All" by Keith Whitley) - and using the white paint pen, simply wrote out the song lyrics across each vinyl. "Forever" is a really long song and I sort of almost ran out of room, but I think it turned out okay - perfectly imperfect is what I'm calling it.
Lastly, I used some clear acrylic spray to lock in all the awesomeness I had just created. For the record, I did this inside and it elicited a sort of not so thrilled response from Josh, who asked me if I was spray painting inside the house. Which I wasn't, not exaaaactly. But um, I wouldn't really recommend anyone else doing this indoors. But, when it's chilly out and you live in an apartment building, sometimes a girl has gotta do what she's gotta do, even if it gets some complaints regarding the acrylic spray paint smell.
Once everything was dry, I set to work framing each record. First, I purchased these awesomely giant frames I got from IKEA.
Then, using 12x12 gray scrapbooking paper from Michael's and some mod podge, I attached each record to a sheet.
I seriously heart mod podge.
Then, I placed each record so that it would appear exactly in the middle of each frame. This took more than a few tries to make sure it was even and all of the words were visible, but by the 3rd record, I had it down to a system.
Finally, I attached the hanging system to the back of the frame per IKEA's instructions.
Then, I hung them in our bedroom using our bed as the center of the room and by measuring multiple times using this awesome sketch.
I hung the middle picture about an inch and a half higher than the other two to give it some height as the middle part of our headboard does raise a bit. When all was said and done it went from this ...
... to this:
Ah, I love the before and after. This is one of those projects where I had the idea in my head and I really hoped it would come out well, but wasn't really so sure that it would. I am so happy with the results and could not be more excited about our new art in the bedroom! It only took 6 months, but our bedroom finally looks put together!
|Please excuse my messy nightstand!|
PS. I'm linking up to parties over at Colorado Lady, Crafty Scrappy Happy, House of Hepworths, Made in a Day, The Crafty Blog Stalker and Thrifty Decorating! Be sure to head over there for more fantastic projects!